In my database course at Marshall University, I helped my professor with a side project involving Cancer research data that has been collected since 1973 by the National Cancer Institute. My first job was to take the SEER data and load it into a postgreSQL database.

The job was simple enough. The only problem? The data files were in SAS format. Basically the format was CRLF delimited entries composed of fixed-length fields. Here is a list of the fields and lengths that I used for the script.

Continue reading

So I was using a 3rd party iPod management program to copy songs from my iPod back to my hard drive and the program somehow made a folder with a name that was absurdly long. So long that even windows refused to delete it no matter what. The exact error says: “The filename or extension is too long”. The official MS documentation gives 5 suggestions and none of them seemed to work for me. Here is what I did to fix the problem.

Continue reading


This is a Mandala I created in Adobe Photoshop from scratch for the RST department at Marshall University.

Click the thumbnail to see the full size image.